Lakeshore Alternative Elementary School, 220 Middlefield Drive,
San Francisco, CA 94132
May 10, 2019 will mark the 150th anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad.
Approximately 12,000 Chinese workers cleared giant trees and boulders, blasted through granite rock to forge tunnels, dangled over raging rivers, lifted and planted heavy iron rails and ties for the Central Pacific Railroad over the snowy Sierra Nevada Mountains. Their work was unheralded and the loss of lives has been incalculable.
The Association of Chinese Teachers (TACT) seeks to celebrate their work with teacher resources for elementary, middle, and senior high school. Displays of books, railroad workers’ food, posters, and activities will honor their role in helping our nation become one of the economic powerhouses of the world.
9:15 Welcome/Schedule for the Day
- Jeannie Woo, TACT Curriculum Committee
- Josephine Ho, TACT Executive Committee
- with classroom suggestions, question/answer
10:10 Railroad Picture Books K-5: Lorraine Dong
- Railroad Chapter Books Grades 6-12: Irene Dea Collier
- Railroad Workers’ Dried Food Display
- Posters, Realia (steel track, railroad spike, granite)
- Games: Chinese Railroad Workers Game Board
- Crafts: Die cut paper trains, railroad logos, Chinese railroad workers
- Books and resources (PowerPoints, plus other videos)
Space is limited, so RSVP as soon as possible to Jeannie Woo firstname.lastname@example.org with TACT in the subject line. Please indicate your grade level and school. Register by October 6, 2018 to receive teacher resources.